Saturday, January 31, 2009

Gabriela Garcia Medina

Last night, she performed at my school. She was awesome.

Earlier this week, a traveling Buddhist teacher (who holds a Masters from St. John's) came to speak and he mentioned how jaded college students get from professors always having to be politically correct. He said how people who don't give a fuck about being politically correct are very refreshing when you're in/just out of college. I'm not talking racial slurs or anything equally heinous. What I mean (and what he meant) is someone who just says what they mean without being concerned about offending someone in the room.

When he said this, I agreed about how the extent to which professors are PC is a bit bogus, but didn't really think I'd automatically enjoy someone just because they have an unadulterated way of thinking.

But last night I got it. I completely understood what he meant. Gabriela Garcia Medina (ps - for the past two weeks as her performance has been advertised on campus I keep mistakenly calling her Gabriel Garcia Marquez) says what she wants. I wouldn't even say that she's particularly un-PC, but her energy and her manner and her insistence that she is a revolutionary makes you feel that she is.

Here's my favorite verse of the poetry that I heard last night as well as the one that probably best sums up her style (and a style I aim for):

"Know that when the Revolution comes
I will be prepared in green fatigues, combat boots with a top of the line AK
And underneath it all….
my favorite set of matching lingerie"

Hahaha, great. Ok, that doesn't nearly do her rhyming and rhythm or energy any justice, but it's funny.

No comments: