Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stream of Consciousness

When looking through the documents on my computer, I found this stream of consciousness that I wrote sophomore year of high school. About three pages in, I found some interesting thoughts I didn't realize I had back then.


"I like to make people think
To reconsider
To open their minds
And imagine
No one should ever understand something the first time they see it
Or hear it
Or feel it
Everything should be molded in our minds
And made to be scrutinized under strict consideration
Before being decided upon
Everything
And even then there should be no answer
Nothing in the world is right
But plenty of it is wrong
What am I looking forward to in the world?
To everything
To the far future
And the near
Mostly the far because it holds so much
But also the near
Ages sixteen and seventeen should be the best years of your life
A time with freedoms and tastes of adulthood
But the knowledge that no matter what you do
You cannot be charged as an adult
You are still a kid
You can still be a kid
Adults can’t be kids
Plenty have tried
They’ve either been committed or charged as pedophiles
Some of my greatest heroes among them
The world is disgusting
It’s barbaric
Simple innocence is a greater crime than murder
Well, I suppose it makes sense
Murder is concrete
There is no question about murder
Death is final
When someone dies they are gone
When someone dies it’s the end
If someone questions authority
Or acts in a different way
We don’t know what to do about it
We don’t know what’s happening
Are they telling the truth?
Seeking attention?
Is there an unseen motive?
When someone acts differently
We must question them
And we must condemn them
Lest it lead to the worst"

1 comment:

Kate said...

Yeah, she visited! It was a surprise weekend and all the other theater kids were having tech weekend for the show that all the freshman are in except me, so she came up on a whim and we went shopping and restaurant-ing. It was major merriment.

Bee tee dubs, you meant "your". Heh heh. (Grammar pWned)

I love this post too. Your early stream of consciousness is better than anyone else's writing even when they're trying really hard.